1. News & Issues

Doris Lin

Ted Nugent, Poaching Again

By April 26, 2012

Ted Nugent, Poacher
To follow up Nugent's 2005 cookbook "Kill It & Grill It," his next cookbook should be, "Poach It & Poach It."

Ted Nugent has once again pled guilty to illegal hunting. This time, he illegally killed a black bear in southern Alaska. And like his previous poaching incident, he filmed and broadcast the events for his television show, "Spirit of the Wild."

Nugent claims that his arrow only grazed the first black bear, who got away. The guitarist, who is probably better known for his controversial political statements than his 80s hits, then killed a different bear and exceeded his limit. Nugent's attorney, Wayne Anthony Ross, explained, "They've got apparently some crazy law in Southeast that says if you even touch an animal with an arrow, it becomes your animal." Nugent claims he was ignorant of the law.

As a result of the plea agreement, Nugent will pay a $10,000 fine, make public service announcements about responsible hunting during his television show, and be on probation for two years. He'll also be banned from hunting or fishing in Alaska or on any U.S. Forest Service land nationwide for one year.

In his previous poaching incident, Nugent pled guilty in 2010 to illegally baiting deer and failing to have a deer tag countersigned in California. In exchange for his guilty plea, the charges for illegally killing an immature buck were dropped.

From an animal rights perspective, it doesn't matter whether the animal was killed legally or illegally; the killing violates the animal's right to live free of human abuse and exploitation. But even hunters condemn poaching, which can endanger fellow hunters, innocent bystanders, and wildlife.

Nugent was most recently in the news for making vaguely threatening remarks against President Obama, but was cleared after a Secret Service investigation.

Comments

May 6, 2012 at 1:00 am
(1) Leilani Massa says:

New petition to get Outdoor Channel to cancel Ted Nugent’s Spirit of the Wild. They’re being irresponsible by promoting illegal hunting by paying Ted Nugent to poach animals on national tv.

June 5, 2012 at 7:48 am
(2) Boston Defense Attorney says:

I couldn�t resist commenting. Perfectly written!

July 27, 2012 at 9:25 am
(3) Tim says:

“…the killing violates the animal’s right to live free of human abuse and exploitation.” That’s about the dumbest thing I’ve read in a long time.

July 30, 2012 at 10:57 am
(4) Sue says:

Yeah Tim….shows dumb you are….its ppl like you that make this planet a living hell.

August 3, 2012 at 2:54 pm
(5) wayne says:

No sue its ignorant people like u that make this world a living hell ever eat a hamburger or steak prolly not ur prolly some tree hugging hippy that eats grass and bark news flash animals were put here to eat and feed us get over it

August 16, 2012 at 7:34 am
(6) Andres says:

Wayne,

“animals were put here to eat and feed us” The same ridiculous excuse just to keep killing. Are you sure human babies were not put here for us to eat too? Can you people at least make an effort to think logically and rationally before advertising your ignorance?

August 16, 2012 at 11:30 am
(7) Curiouser49 says:

I don’t get these people. If a person has the need to shoot, then shoot at a target or skeet shoot. Why kill animals? Ted, with all your money, you can’t find a better past time – such as helping animals. What a JERK you turned out to be. Another teachable moment – wasted on a fool like you.

August 16, 2012 at 9:58 pm
(8) Anne K. says:

Wayne, after you learn to speak and write English, please explain how people who want to live without harming others are making this world a living hell, and provide proof that “animals were put here” for humans to eat. Tree hugging hippies do not eat grass and bark. I don’t eat animals, but I enjoy delicious and diverse foods. I had a Chinese dinner tonight.

Poachers should not be profiting from their actions. Should burglars be permitted to film break-ins and get paid to put the videos on TV? As for Nugent, he has serious issues and should have received psychological evaluation years ago.

September 24, 2012 at 9:58 pm
(9) Blood brother says:

I think these twisted people meaning the P.E.T.A people and others like them are trying to twist the rules around from our rights as licensed hunters in the US. By the way I love to eat meat as a free American citizen my version of .P.E.T.A People Eating Tasty Animals. Obama SUCKS!!!!! Go NRA

October 2, 2012 at 9:50 pm
(10) George Goble says:

Blood Brother – ditto AND Obama is scum!!!

October 9, 2012 at 1:13 pm
(11) Caroline says:

People should also write to Discovery Channel and urge them to cancel his show ‘Ted Nugent’s Gun Country’. A show about guns…hosted by a convicted poacher (who threatened the President). Wow, great choice.

October 9, 2012 at 8:57 pm
(12) Blood brother says:

And I say all of Teds fans should write to the networks and tell how much they love the show and support him and I’m sure Spirt of the wild will be back on the air next year

November 14, 2012 at 12:14 pm
(13) Nuge Fan says:

about.com is obviously liberal, but thanks for allowing diverse comments after this article! To those who have never hunted a day in their lives and are comfortable in your ignorance, that’s your choice. Don’t expect to make an inflammatory remark and not expect a response from LAW ABIDING hunters. Hunting laws vary from state to state, even from township to township. Ted Nugent was obviously the target of liberal politics. Doris, stick to what you know best and write about something positive. Ignorance of the law did not make Pa Nuge any less accountable to it, and he is taking his punishment like a man. You and your liberal friends, however, are destroying America. You don’t want equal rights, you want SPECIAL rights. You want to take away my right to eat an animal. Embrace the America that allows you to believe that government is the answer. I embrace the America that still allows me to kill and eat my own food.

February 11, 2013 at 3:28 pm
(14) Don says:

Ted Nugent is a great guitarist. His ego, big mouth, and blood lust for killing animals is way out of control. I no longer listen to teds music because he has no respect for his fans. He totally ripped Pantera’s version of Cat Scratch Fever and went on to piss on Darrell “Dime Bag” Abbotts grave by calling him a degenerate drunk and drug addict. This guy is an assholes asshole and I want nothing to do with him.

February 14, 2013 at 10:09 am
(15) Larry Wilson says:

I would much rather see these animals die of starvation, it’s more humane that way! I have see it before and will again…

March 31, 2013 at 11:55 pm
(16) Meme says:

I eat meat all the time. Killing animals because you truly don’t have money to buy it is ok. But doing it as a sport is lame. You know, shooting a rabbits head off is a “sport”. Kind of like baseball, hula hooping and jump roping. I hear guys having “locker room chat” and they hunt (at animals expense) so they can say “mine is bigger than yours”. I have heard laughing about, “he just kept running after I already shot him hahahaha” (the guys laughing) It’s just sick. I’m ok with hunters if they need the food, but Ted does it, as do so many others, cause he thinks it “fun” to go play hide and seek with the deer, then kill them. It’s sick that he thinks it’s fun.

February 24, 2014 at 9:55 am