1. News & Issues

Veggie Burgers at McDonald's?

By May 8, 2008

Certain McDonald’s locations now offer a veggie burger, but I’m wondering how many animal activists will purchase this item at McDonald’s. I’ve heard some activists argue that we should support any pro-animal efforts, and buying veggie burgers at McDonald’s will ensure that the burgers stay available and become available at more locations.

However, I’m more of the mind that I can choose to support veggie options at less offensive restaurants, and I’d rather not spend any of my money at McDonald’s. Given McDonald’s track record on animal issues, what do you think of buying veggie burgers at McDonald’s?

Comments

February 2, 2009 at 4:26 pm
(1) cd says:

hey, i eat the ones at Burger King. I don’t go out of my way to seek out these sorts of resturants, but if I am on a road trip (which I often am) and have limited options I’d rather eat a McDonald’s veggie burger than nothing.

May 21, 2009 at 12:58 pm
(2) BW says:

About 3 years ago, McDonald’s in Malaysia sold a veggie burger that was to die for. Absolutely delicious, with just the right amount of spiciness. Sadly, it was discontinued. It had actual pieces of corn and other veggies in it. So good!

June 14, 2009 at 5:43 am
(3) Jeff says:

I agree…I cant imagine any Vegetarian eating at Mcduffus. However, It would show an effort in the right direction and would put the company in a better light….considering all the issues that have been brought up against them.

October 2, 2009 at 3:32 pm
(4) mark says:

I think it’s important to progress towards a more vegetarian diet. Not just from an animal rights standpoint but a health standpoint and an ecological standpoint.

Every veggie burger purchased in place of a hamburger would result in a decrease in methane, an increase in carbon fixation, increase in demand for crops other than corn for fructose, and so on.

November 27, 2009 at 10:32 am
(5) Anu Fields says:

We had a backyard burger that had a juicy vege burger… I was soooo yummy, but the price was high and had to close down the store.
My husband owns a chain of Mc donalds and I hope to see the day they sell the last beef burger, and start selling more animal friendly vege burgers and soy meet nuggets… Mc donalds always change with time and peoples’ demands… so the time is now for a nation wide Juicy vege burger at a good pirce…

February 17, 2010 at 11:53 am
(6) isa says:

I hope, it’s good, but i think, that there is vegetarian food at McD. Here in Germany, we have, for example, cheese corners and also something with potatoes.. and it’s not bad! (;

October 1, 2010 at 5:37 am
(7) marahd says:

IF I AM OUT, I HAVE NO CHOICE, STARVE AND COLLAPSE FROM BEING STARVED, or buy the vegburger. it is my belief that if we buy them, they will continue to offer them and even expand the menu. but if we boycot this, they will just not even offer it. since i became vegetarian 25 years ago there was a time the restaurants offered real choices for us, now they dont because no one bought them for the most part. now we dont have any reason to eat out, and dont even want to buy the things we are wishing for? baby steps are going to get us off meat, not boycots because there are more of them than us. if the public look away even at the horrific abuse why would they change at all? baby steps. to me, that is more ethical than boycotting because it hurts me to give them my money but its for the bigger good in my eye.

December 5, 2010 at 3:04 am
(8) Eve Aruguete says:

Personally, I would only eat the Mickey Ds’ veggie burger if it was vegan (i doubt). But reading all these comments has convinced me any movement forward is good and should be supported. The reason I’m most passionate about is animal rights, but there are TONS of reasons in health, environment, world hunger, labor rights to chose this burger over meat… Mark above said it well… Another reason is to support it is McDonalds is so popular… how awesome for kids growing up to see a veggie burger option, perhaps that would be their first introduction to vegetarianism…
but yeah, i’m just telling everyone else to do it… i don’t eat fast food… too difficult for a vegan and too gross to me… i’m lucky to live in a community with many vegan restaurants (los angeles)…

January 4, 2011 at 11:05 am
(9) Kate says:

I used to eat at McDonalds every month, more because my stepdad enjoyed it and there was one close to us, but I look at the food now and wonder how I could stomach it. I probably would get a veggie burger, but the one close to us doesn’t sell them. If it did, I would eat them however, to try increase the market (even if just by one person). I generally just try not to eat at McDonalds. We did a case study on them once at school. Too much bad history.

March 4, 2011 at 1:49 pm
(10) vegindc says:

McDonalds uses beef in the hash browns and fries. If they’re going to have a veg burger they need to warn the vegetarians up front about the ingredients and not package it in a meal with non-veg fries.

March 11, 2011 at 5:35 pm
(11) N/a says:

Asked mcdonalds about the vegie burger today. Turns out it’s not acctually sutiable for vegetarians, they cook the meat burgers in the same pan as the vegie ones. I was disgusted with them but they didn’t take any notice of my argument at all, even when I spoke to the assistant manager !! DON’T BUY THE VEGIE BURGERS IF YOU ARE VEGITARIAN !

April 13, 2011 at 2:21 pm
(12) Misty says:

I think we should eat their vegetarian based products if ever available at these fast food chains. I believe that supply and demand are the huge cause for the abundance in animal cruelity. If the option is offered and us non meat eaters spend more, they will eventually move away from the slaughter house. It may be a slow change, but it will happen. If they have the option and promote it, people who are meat eaters may want to try it, and if they enjoy it even better. I believe we need to support any effort for change. That veggie burger they serve will replalce the meat, and we need to not think of the restraunts past, but the animals future.

June 8, 2011 at 12:12 pm
(13) Me says:

It’s ridiculous not to get a vegetarian burger from McDonals becase its “an offensive restaurant” I’m not vegetarian, my boyfriend is, sometimes we go to Mcdonals for the coffee and sometimes I eat a chicken burger and my boyfriend a salad. Of course it would help enormously if McDonals would offer a vegetarian burger as a permanent option, I get it that you are snobs and think McDonals is terrible, but that’s exactly the point, you dont need to convince the people who are already vegans or vegetarian, buy organic foods and eat healthy, you need to start getting a space in the broad market, to let know the fat bstards they can actually enjoy a vegetarian burger and it would also remove all the smuggy aura that vegetarianism seems to have for some people, that is the key to make a real change.

October 26, 2011 at 11:15 pm
(14) Brooke says:

I wouldn’t purchase anything at Mcdonalds, veggie or not. They’ve lied and hurt so many people and animals its ridiculous. There’s no way I could ever support the cruelty they refuse to end.
Purchasing their food {whatever it may be} is only increasing thier profits. A step in that direction is also a step back in another.

No thank you. :o

January 9, 2012 at 6:08 pm
(15) dubby says:

(13) Me says :

No one is a snob for hating mcdonalds..GARBAGE COME ON…,.Your Bf probably pays 6 bucks for salad..greens are very cheap…overpriced crap food….nothing will change the way they do business…charging for sweet and sour sauce ..come on now.
(Edited to conform with About.com User Agreement)

January 27, 2012 at 12:59 pm
(16) Mike says:

I have worked for Mcdonalds. The veggie burger is not vegetarian for the following reason. Although the vat it is cooked in is only used for non meat products, when the cooking oil is filtered (which usually happens once daily) it is pumped through the same pipes as oil from other vats which are used for chicken and fish.

May 2, 2012 at 7:08 am
(17) Mimi says:

What’s a veggie burger without fries though?… McDonalds now uses vegetable oil for their fries and that’s good yes, but they spray them with beef fat first for flavor- yuck. They were pretty sneaky about it too flaunting “fries now fried in vegetable oil” … only to have their dirty little secret discovered. Note to McDonalds… vegetarians care about stuff like that. It’s evil.

June 10, 2012 at 9:07 pm
(18) Ivan says:

Probably not know the mcdonalds around here they’d probably get the grease from the burgers on the vegburger and use the same spatula to get beef on the vegburger stuff they just might not take into consideration..

July 7, 2012 at 3:35 am
(19) Bretton says:

All of the comments here are really good. I’m ovo-lacto, so not nearly as constricted as many of you, but find that the only restaraunts that serve a decent veggie burger are also very adamant about the quality of their beef and the conditions in which the cows are raised. A good example would be Elevation Burger.

IMHO, the fundamental problem with McDonald’s is not their practices in the past (although these are troubling at best), but their commitment to cheap, mass produced food. Any company who has such a goal will never be capable of offering a quality veggie burger (that hasn’t been cooked in the same pan/grill as the beef burgers, at a bare minimum).

Cheap food will never be the food that our bodies want or need. If you doubt the truth of this statement, look at the staple food sources for the masses, worldwide: white rice, potatoes, white flour, wheat, chicken and beef (in America – raised in indusrial conditions). The non meat staples are high on the glycemic index and lack substantial nutritional value, but they can keep a populace from starving to death (one of the benefits of the Green Revolution). The meats listed are produced in industrial conditions where profit is king, not quality and responsibility isn’t even an afterthought.

We are merely living in the wake of the Green Revolution of the 60′s. Additionally, in the 70′s and 80′s, America made a shift from meat being more of a weekly luxury, in the average American diet, to a daily staple. This shift was the result of the beef and chicken industries (primarily), in a serious attempt to increase profits, producing meat cheaper and in larger volumes to increase profit by increasing consumption. These aggressive measures have been instrumental in shifting the American diet from an omnivorous diet to a highly carnivorous diet.

July 7, 2012 at 3:37 am
(20) Bretton says:

NPR recently ran a very nice piece on this trend (It was on their show Fresh Air). I would also recommend that anyone who bothers to read this tome of mine also read up on the Green Revolution and consider the sustainability of the movement…

It would be nice to see a veggie burger on the menu at McDonald’s, but for those who care about what is in their food, McDonald’s shows no signs of satisfying this crowd in the foreseeable future (veg, vegan, or otherwise)…all the while, continuing their practices of serving industrialy produced beef and chicken (I’m not even going to try to guess where their “fish” comes from).

FYI, if you ever want to convince someone to stop eating beef, just drive down I-5 and stop to stretch your legs in Coalinga, CA.  I also recommend looking out the windows on the drive to try and guess what the cows are walking around in. I stopped eating meat shortly after I did this. I was just utterly disgusted.

Here’s a link to that segment on Fresh Air. Sorry it’s the mobile link, but I’m not at a comp right now. Also a good motivator to quit meat.
m.npr.org/story/13?url=/programs/fresh-air/

August 16, 2012 at 4:09 pm
(21) Michael says:

I don’t mind vegetarians or vegans but I must say that I do not take kindly to those who want to force me to do their veggie diet.

July 20, 2013 at 12:07 am
(22) Steve says:

Not a vegan but I don’t use McD’s at all just feel global control of food market sucks !!

August 7, 2013 at 9:47 pm
(23) janet says:

yuk about mcd’s spraying their fries with beef flavor or whatever it is that they do. $10million settlement to the offended veg/vegans that they had to pay out looks good on them!

August 7, 2013 at 9:49 pm
(24) janet says:

$10M settlement that they had to pay to the veg/vegans does look kinda good on them. Hope they have to wake-up a little more every day!.

December 26, 2013 at 12:01 am
(25) Amy says:

I am not a McDonalds customer , but it should be an option, may bring awareness to the customers they do have.
I did have one at Burger King, I was starving and glad it was available.
PS They did supposedly stop using pork plants that use gestation crates!
we have to start somewhere to make others aware!

April 19, 2014 at 4:16 am
(26) Emily Fleming says:

Hi everyone I just want to tell all the vegetarians that pig is put in the milkshakes and the ice cream